Thursday, March 17, 2011

Me, Myself and I


Do you sometimes wonder if you’d be friends with yourself if there were two of you?
It’s true that I’m pretty shy when it comes to meeting new people and I’m pretty selfish with my time, but I kind of think I might like me if we met. For one thing, we’d definitely have the same interests and yes, maybe I’d annoy myself because I’m really good at starting projects and not as good at finishing them, but I think I could get over that.
Today as I was flipping through an old notebook I came across a small paragraph that I’d written a couple of years ago. I have no recollection of writing it. I have to admit that this does happen to me a lot. It’s almost like reading someone else’s words and it makes me laugh, and sometime makes me like myself a little more (YES, I am someone I’d like to be friends with, I say in those moments).
Here’s the funny little paragraph I stumbled across today:
A crack forms in the kitchen wall as we take out the kitchen counter. Through it we see a light, hear voices. Where did this other room come from? Who are these people living in it?
I’m totally going to have to turn that into some kind of story. But first I’ll have to ask myself if I’d like to be friends.

1 comment:

  1. I think in sarcastic terms even while speaking in a voice that "sounds" like I'm interested in whatever is being said to me.

    I find other people SO annoying. They voice their opinions, then ramble on until I get tired of smiling and nodding my head.

    If I was my own friend, I'd offer little conversation, but lots of companionship.

    WHY do people have to fill every milli-second with innane chatter!

    ReplyDelete