Friday, March 21, 2014

To Theme or Not to Theme



April is right around the corner, which means it's time again for the A-Z Challenge. For the first time this year, I'm considering having a theme instead of just posting random posts about whatever tickles my fancy at the moment. Although fancy tickling IS extremely appealing, I figured it might be a bit more challenging (and interesting) to have a little more direction. 

So now comes the difficult part, choosing an idea that will hold my interest (and hopefully the interest of whomever stops by this blog) for a whole month. I was hoping YOU might have some input. Here are some of the ideas of been toying around with. Do any of them sound interesting to you???

1. My favorite things- probably lists, maybe some poems, but definitely all the things I love.
2. The Writing Life- a little bit of craft, a little bit of business and hopefully some inspiration... 
3. Imagery- a chance to look closely at things and hopefully write some beautiful words.
4. If I had- If I had an ant eater, if I had brown eyes, if I had a cat's tail... you get the picture.
5. What if- a chance to use my favorite phrase every day for a month and possibly come up with some fun new ideas for books.
6. Creating Characters- a new character for each day. I'm often very plot driven, so I thought it would be a fun exploration to really think about characters.
7. Story Book ideas- a new idea for a picture book each day.
8. Vocabulary: a new fun word each day used in a sentence, passage, or poem.

So, do any of those ideas sound appealing to you? Weigh in now or forever hold your peace(or at least during the month of April). 


4 comments:

  1. Definitely the "if I" category! That sounds fun and low-stress for you, and I've visited about 150 blogs already (Seriously....) and there have been a lot of writing/about writing blogs in the (WR) category... not to say it's bad (it's my theme, too, haha) but I haven't seen the "If I"/"What if" category yet. Go for it!

    Alex Hurst, fantasy author in Kyoto, participating in Blogging A-Z April Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say the "What if" or "If I" posts. The character ones could be interesting, but I think you run the risk of it being too much to sustain. Of course you know better what your limitations are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "If I had..." gets my vote! Sounds totally original and has lots of scope for creative imagery to keep the interest going :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely #4 as the rest have said. Would be fun to see how that goes. Lots of potential and something new :)

    ReplyDelete